Monday, October 2, 2017

Lab - Let's Make a Spectometer - Corrigan

On Friday the 29th of September, Mr. Wong's 6th period class engaged in building their own spectrometers. We then each found three different light sources to see and compare the verity of colors witnessed.

 Here is my spectrum created when pointing my spectrometer at the sun^, which was my first light source.
When using my spectrometer to look at ne of our LED class room lights, I noticed this particular spectrum.


Here I had a class mate direct the flashlight on his phone into my spectrometer in order to get this spectrum.


After comparing all three spectrums from the different light sources, I noticed a couple similarities and differences. First I recognized that each spectrum contains roughly the same main colors of green, red, a yellowish color, and purple. However the thickness and length of each color seemed a little different for each spectrum. This is most likely because of the different types of light that are being emitted. For example, the light in the classroom was classic LED and probably the same with the flashlight, however the sun was natural solar light. The spectrum created by the sun was much smaller and thicker while the class light spectrum was very slim and the colors spread out. The Phone light I would say is closer to the class light with color and length, but it is much choppier.

These are a few photos of what I was working with, my spectrometer.

No comments:

Post a Comment